Friday, 28 June 2013

trees

I don't think I ever posted photos of this quilt from a few years ago. It's my own design that originated from a challenge between my friend Judi and I. We each used a photo and traced some of the lines from the photo onto tracing paper, then simplified the lines even further by erasing some of them. We then cut a 1" square hole in a larger piece of cardboard and moved the cardboard over the drawing until we found a section that seems to have interesting design possibilities. The drawing takes on a completely different look when you can only see a 1" square section at a time. We had to expand the design from the little section we'd chosen, without referring back to the original photo.  It was a very interesting exercise. This quilt was the result. I did the quilting on my Husky rather than the longarm, as I didn't think I'd be able to do all the echo quilting as well as I would like on the longarm. I wrote up the pattern for it last year and it was published in Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine.





2 comments:

Deona Flores said...

Fascinating exercise! It sounds like a design challenge I had to do in art school to create a soup stone sculpture. Amazing how design principles are able to land in many a field...creativity and the visual language speak a universal language.

Thank you so very much for your post!

Deona
a beginning hand quilter
art4lifedlf@yahoo.com

ms lottie said...

I'd love to see the original photo and drawing so we could see how it relates back. Sounds like a great creative exercise.